Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Difference

So often, we stay in our own little bubble of a life, not even thinking twice about something other than ourselves.
Lately it has caught my attention that a lot of people in our(Ron and I's) family and friends are these people.
So caught up in our own lives, what have we really done to make a difference?
I constantly get phone calls, from people telling me all about what's going on in their life.
Never just asking to see how I or someone else is doing. Which is not even what I want.
Not even bothering with any other matters because it could potentially hurt them or open their eyes to something they don't want to see.
So consumed in our own lives, we never second guess ourselves, this is my life, my family, sticking to the people we know, that benefit us.

What if everyone was like this?

If Maddox would have never been here and passed, I would have never opened my eyes to these things.
Even before Maddox, I always sort of wanted to reach out, but Maddox put things into a subject and action.

So how do you go beyond your own children, your own family, and actually care about someone else?
I honestly think the answer is God, because when I ask for a will to do so, I am granted such, on numerous occasions. A God who I used to deny and speak of sarcastically, forgave me...

The internet has been one of my main resources for reaching out.
 But what if you don't have that?
There are things you CAN do, even locally.
I always make it a point to read every collection can at the gas station and slip some change into the slot.
Which is just ONE thing.

What if you don't have money?
We all know someone who is struggling, we may hardly even be acquainted with this person,
but there is always something we can do.
Lately I have been itching to give this woman a ride every time we see her.
Why do I ignore this "itch" so often? Because I am afraid for myself or don't want to use the energy.

Which is why most of us stay in our "little bubble", never doing more than we have to.

I also think this plays a part in why we don't turn to God, or take the time to find and connect with him.
I know for me, it was just too much. I was fine without him, I thought. 

But the second I put my selfishness aside, and actually thanked him for EVERYTHING, and asked for help, I was literally granted immediately. A calmness, the humbleness, you can't deny.

Basically, there is always something you can do.
Even just caring and praying for someone is something.
Too often we are so wrapped up in our own lives, or so afraid of something else,
we forget that we are not the only people here, and that helping other people can make us feel good too!

 Doing something for someone, without expecting something in return.
A reward can ruin the humble, genuineness of your act.

So a good question to ask yourself is, what have you really done today, this week, or this year?

What measures have you taken to step outside your comfort zone, to do something for someone,
SOMETHING, anything else?

-Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment